13.9.13

Apparently, the dilemma of whether you should only highlight a plus from one collection and abandon things that you dislike does not only strike the journalist.


Amidst the enormous storm of New York Fashion Week news in our feed, a question persists: what if I hate a particular collection? That very same question perhaps crosses the mind of the front row citizens and fashion journalists in attendance, plenty of which decides to talk about the highs and disregard the lows. Upon my observation, constant absence of discussions about particular brand are actually signals that it is widely unloved.

Sad, isn’t it?

I am simply curious of what is really going on in the mind of the show-goers and what are the discussions off the record when it comes to something we hate. Let’s face it, fashion industry has been long regarded as a bitchy source, where people who work in it slowly become the devil who wears Prada (although in reality, only a handful REALLY wears Prada – the rest should crawl up to reach the high ladder to afford one). So why are almost all reviews reflect something positive? Where are the sharp opinions and snarky commentaries for the designers?

On a logical note, designers who have created collections that result in millions of dollars must have adequate skills NOT to screw up and design badly. They have the power as well, as performed by some designers who dislike negative commentary from the journalists. They can delete you from the invitees list or place you somewhere far far away that only the heads of the models are visible. Deletion from the invitation list is probably not so bad, when compared to the brand’s decision for discontinuing their advertisement agreement with the related publication.

Horrible, isn’t it?

And apparently the bloggers, who now count themselves as the influential commentators and taste makers, continue to proclaim their love for almost all shows they are invited to. I am both a blogger and a journalist, albeit not (yet?) a wildly popular one, but somehow I sense this kind of wrong doings in terms of criticism in fashion. It should be fun, yes, but at the same time I feel that it should be democratic and open for discussion.

From my own experience, I have once tweeted something blatantly negative about certain collection of the house and someone, a local designer, fired back at me by pretty much saying that I am no expert thus I have no legibility to give such opinion. Really? Because to me, when the so-called experts of fashion cannot really say and explain what’s going on, then someone who is free from obligation to obey any advertisement deal has the right to sound their opinion. When the fashion journalists are flocking to make the brands look good, I think it is not such a bad thing to deliver criticism in my own way and praising in my own way, too. I can give some stupid shitty sentences to describe a collection, but that is probably just my way of learning. 
Or not?

If that is really not, then I will just resume my fashion writing 101 from the reputable style.com. I hopefully will find my way of explaining my lack of understanding in the whole à la mode universe.

photo is from style.com (Proenza Schouler SS14)

P.S: I admire the bravery of Robin Givhan (and celebrate her return to fashion journalism) to write something honest and at the same time, thoughtful regarding the mess creative confusion at Rodarte.

a culture and style publication

a culture and style publication
liberate your mind!

Blog Archive

Search